Monday, April 20, 2015

WGI Color Guard World Championships!

Now before I dive into the immense competition of color guard from this weekend, let me first just mention the most recent DCI show announcements that I have heard:

The Cadets: "Power of Ten"

Troopers: "Wild Horses" (I know I talked about this previously, but now I am confident enough that this way in no way an April Fools joke and truly is their 2015 show.) 

Alright now, on to Color Guard World Champs! University of Dayton Arena was a frenzy this weekend, as color guards and winter guards from all across the country descended upon the city to compete at the very top level! Competition was fierce and the shows were astounding as some of my favorite color guards managed to pull out all the stops and put on their best shows yet, earning the highest scores they received the entire season! I know that previously I have talked about the strong rivalry between Onyx and Pride of Cincinnati and the great debate of who would come out on top. Well its all said and done, and as it turns out, the rival who rose above was Onyx Winter Guard with 96.350 (only 0.05 above Pride!) for their 2015 show, "Cloud Works"! 

But that doesn't mean they came out on top. In fact, Onyx finished in 2nd place in the Independent World Class right behind this year's gold medalist: Santa Clara Vanguard! That's right everybody! SCV won first place with a 98.250 for their 2015 show: "#10 - You'll Never Be Alone"! 

Below is the list of scores from the following classes: Independent World, Independent Open, and Independent A.

As you can see, one of my personal favorite winter guards, Allegoria (color guard of Corri Geis, whom I previously interviewed) placed 3rd in the Independent Class A with a 94.360, their highest score yet! Way to go Allegoria! 

There was also an online competition where fans could vote for their favorite color guards and percussion ensembles within each class from this year. So here is the link to the results of the WGI Fans' Favorite Winners. http://www.wgi.org/contents/Fans-Favorite-Vote.html
Now if I come across any great video from this weekend's final competition, I will be sure to add it up here. But for now, that's all I've got folks. If you ended up going to watch WGI Color Guard World Champs, I hope you had a fantastic time, and if you performed their,  I hope you're happy with the results and with your 2015 season. Congratulations to each and every color guard and winter guard that competed in Dayton this weekend. You finally get to relax, you earned it!





No comments:

Post a Comment