Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Jersey Surf Remixes "Don't Look Down"?!

Well dang do I have sudden news for you all! I thought about waiting to publish this into next week's post but I wanted to take advantage of how early I found out the news. Chances are that you probably haven't heard yet about the newest collaboration in DCI! Just released at noon today, actress and musician Janina Gavankar posted a music video on YouTube of her own re-imagined remix of the new pop song "Don't Look Down" by Martin Garrix (featuring Usher). Here's the link for the original song's music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJSdYlAFKqA

Now this song has already become my new favorite pop song over this last week, but this video just makes me love the song so much more. Reason being... Janina's collaboration on the remix was with none other than DCI's own Jersey Surf Drum & Bugle Corps!! That's right everyone! At first you'd think that it is just another Drum Corps prank, but this one is very real. Janina gave no reason in the video's description for why she specifically chose Jersey Surf, but said that her vision for this arrangement came from her desire to return to her roots. Does that mean she once marched Jersey Surf? That would be interesting to know. As you can read in the description, highly extensive work went into creating this video, but I think everyone agrees that it was well worth the effort. I'm sure you will to. Enjoy!


When asked why she did this, Janina said, “I’ve been in love with drum corps since I was 13 years old. The level of musicianship, precision, the passion grabbed me and engrained a work ethic in my brain. I’ve been wanting to get back to my roots... Drum Corps International groups are atop the scholastic performing arts pyramid. Faster, higher, louder... standard-setting for marching arts around the world.” She also went on to explain the recent troubles with funding for American arts education and advocated it's immense importance.

Now in other news, here are a few more announcements I have discovered for DCI shows for this 2015 season.
The Cavaliers: "Game On"

Gold: "Pop Star"

Cascades: "Intergalactic" 

Colts:   "...And A Shot Rings Out: A Johnny Staccato Murder Mystery" (This news is actually a week or two old, but I just found out about it because it certainly wasn't widely publicized.) 

Jersey Surf: "Sun Surfing" (Also older hidden news.) 

Oregon Crusaders: "The Midnight Garden" 

Phantom Regiment: "City of Light" 

And I'm sure we'll be hearing another handful of 2015 show announcements in the near future.

I would also like to briefly mention and congratulate The Cavaliers Indoor Percussion Ensemble for their stellar performance at WGI Indoor Percussion World Champs over the weekend! It was their first ever time performing within the Independent World Class category and managed to come in 9th place overall, with a fantastic final score of  91.413 for their crazy good show "Bring in The Clowns"! Congrats y'all! 



Well that just about covers this fantastic news. Don't forget everybody! Next weekend is the WGI World Championships in Dayton! Even though I won't be able to attend the event, I am very excited to report back everything I find out. Later bloggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment